Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Landau in der Pfalz


Unfortunately my blogging fell to the wayside for the rest of my time abroad, but there are still some things that I would like to share about my experience before I go back to school at the end of the month and have no time whatsoever to do any blogging :)

I last left you in Berlin on a sunny spring day, the day after which my mom and I took the train to visit our friends Alwin and Elisabeth in Hamburg. After a wonderful few days in Hamburg we were off to Katzenbach for an overnight stay before moving (finally) on to Landau.

Landau is a small town of about 43,500 people, situated in the southwestern corner of Germany in the state of Rheinland-Pfalz. This area of the Pfalz is commonly known as the "Tuscany" of Germany for its temperate weather and abundant vineyards. My mentor Sarah picked us up at the train station and brought us to my new apartment in the Studenten Wohnheim, or student apartments. It included a small bathroom and kitchen (well perhaps I should say refrigerator, sink, stove top and cupboards--not really a kitchen), and fairly large bedroom. Luckily, my room was located on the third floor overlooking the forest and mountains in the distance. This was as opposed to the other side of the Wohnheim which faced a less scenic hospital. Sarah also took me to Aldi to get some groceries and other last minute essentials for living on my own. After exploring the university campus, a five minute walk through the woods from the Wohnheim, my mom and I walked down to the Marktplatz or town square (another 10 minute walk) before a teary goodbye at the train station. I walked back alone to the Wohnheim, feeling a bit sad but also exhilarated to be out on my own. I loved Landau already. A cute little town with many shops and cafes, easily accessible by foot or bike, and surrounded by a lush countryside filled with vineyards and rolling hills.

                                                   View from my window the first evening







No comments:

Post a Comment